Swim With The Fishes...

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

35 Weeks-Asking for Advice

Today marks 35 weeks, 5 more weeks to D-Day! I have to admit, I wake up every morning and go to bed every night and think "Is it going to happen today?" or "Will my water break tonight?" To all of you that have gone into labor before, you probably find this admission humorous.
This should be an exciting week as we start weekly doctor visits on Friday and I have 3 showers in the next 7 days--with David's soccer team, David's family and family friends in Clarksville and my work shower next Tuesday. We are very blessed to have so many people want to be so generous to our family during this time.
Since our childbirth classes were cancelled this past weekend (and hopefully rescheduled for 2 weeks from now), I thought I'd use week 35 to open up a conversation for advice. To all of you that have had children, specifically recently, let me know what I MUST know about the hospital, labor & delivery and newborn care! What piece of information did you find most useful from your class or hospital stay? I can't wait to TAKE your advice...comment away!

2 comments:

Matt and Jennifer said...

Don't feel guilty leaving your baby in the hospital nursery while you are there. It's much easier to sleep relaxed and have the nurse bring in your baby for feedings every 3 hours rather than you constantly wondering if your baby is still okay in the bassinet next to you. Not only will you NEED that sleep but it may be the only relaxed sleep you'll get in the post newborn weeks :)

Leslie Miller said...

Kelly - I have been reading your blog and just love keeping up with it. Honestly,I can't believe you are having a baby. I am pretty it sure it was just two years ago that I was in high school and you were in elementary...right???!!!
Anyway, two boys (ages 5 and 2) I can offer a bit of adivce on the hospital visit. Take it for what it is worth, here is my 2 cents:

LARGE panties I bought Hanes Her Way white Granny Panties (they will give you mesh and they gave me a horrible rash!)

Comfy house shoes

Nice Pj's....I had a long shirt and pants outfit that I felt pretty in. You will have lots of company and want to look nice.

Warm socks – I took fuzzy house socks, my feet froze!

Your own pillow

A pillow and blankets for anyone who may be staying with you overnight (theirs were terrible)

Magazines for you and for people waiting with you

Take out or delivery menus, their food was not good

Baby book for the stamp of the baby’s feet and your Dr.’s signature

Tell your family to wear WARM clothes (especially if you are induced)...you will be very hot during labor!

For you to wear home: Maternity clothes (probably your 7-8mth. Clothes; I couldn’t even wear my own shoes yet)

Hard candy…you can have this during labor

If you know you are going into labor (or before they induce) eat. I was starving because once you are there they won’t let you eat anything but ice, hard candy and popsicles

Take home outfit for the baby…I took two different and didn’t decide till I tried both on him…I decided on a soft sleeper instead of the fussy outfit

Take EVERYTHING they put on the “baby cart” home with you. You have already paid for it. I used everything.

Pacifier for baby if you are planning on using one

Toiletries: Shampoo, soap, good smelling lotion, chap stick, mouthwash, toothbrush, toothpaste, facial soap, deodorant

Most importantly....ENJOY each moment. There will be tears of pain and joy and each one is special. Enjoy this season of your life. You only get one time to be a first time Mommy and there is nothing like it! Praying for a safe delivery for you and baby. Can't wait for pictures!

Leslie (Padgett) Miller