Swim With The Fishes...

Monday, January 19, 2009

One Nation Under God

Although we usually try to keep political views off this blog, it's hard on a day like today to not at least reflect on what our eyes have seen! Days like today, in an effort to not sound completely cliche, make you proud to be an American.

No matter which side of the political fence you fall on or found yourself on this past year, from today on, I hope you will find yourself simply united. Today brought back a very familiar memory for me. In second grade, I remember so vividly watching my first Presidential inauguration--that of President George H.W. Bush. My class, Mrs. Claggett's, joined our neighboring second graders, Mrs. Goodman's class to watch the inauguration live. Of course, being born in 1981, President Reagan was all I had ever known. I watched from the back of the classroom with tears streaming down my face. I'd love to tell you that I was so advanced and moved by the democratic process or that I knew I was watching a historical and crucial time in our country's history, but neither would be true. I had no idea what it meant to be a Democrat or a Republican. All I knew was there was a big change taking place and I did not like change! However, now I realize a lot of those same emotions hold true today.

I stood and watched this inauguration, President Obama's, in a room full of Belmont faculty, staff and students. There were tears. Not mine, but those around me and for reasons across the board. To witness history, as we swore in the first African American president, was beyond moving. I hope it's a day I will tell my children about as they listen both shocked and embarrassed by my age because the thought of the color of someone else's skin had never entered their minds. I still recall my mom reflecting on the integration of her elementary school and how she was mocked because she was a "teacher's pet" of a teacher that happened to be African American. It seems like another world, and I do believe that now, it truly is. I also watched today with hope. Hope that our country will unify, hope that our economy will rebound, hope that our soldiers will come home with perfect timing and hope that this President, most likely the president of my future children, will help make our country strong again.

I'm not so niave to think that Obama is the second coming or the answer to all our prayers. Nor do I think that any one person could fix all the problems of the US, much less the world! Also, I'm not one to blame all our problems on the old administration, of which I casted my vote for twice. Still, I think we have a promising future.

Through this process over the past year up to this day, I've realized how lucky I am. I was born in a country that lets me believe in my God without persecution. A place where I can cast a vote and say my opinion without fear or reservation. I was born to parents that supported me, loved me, encouraged me and forced me to create my own believes, rather than simply enforce theirs upon me. I never worried where my next meal would come from, where I would sleep that night, and never knew what it meant to be truly without something. Although both David and I were raised with these similarities, I realize it's not necessarily the norm. I am so blessed and thankful, for all of the above, but especially for the happenings of today for reminding me of my obligation to be aware and to give back.

So, with all that said, I hope today is the start of something exciting. I hope that no matter who you voted for, where your passions lie, or if your state is red or blue, you will support and pray for the new leadership and be thankful we live in a country that allows us such freedoms. I'm excited to have re-established my 2nd grade innocence (or ignorance) and to be moved by the democratic process and have restored hope for the future!

On a lighter note, didn't Michelle & Jill look fabulous?! ;) Just keeping it real!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Kelly. I echo your comments.

Also you have taken after your mother when it comes to entertaining. Everything looked great.

Love, Rita

Kasey said...

Great post, Kelly!