It has almost been two months since I left my Admissions position at Belmont and began my new career in youth soccer marketing. So far, it's been wonderful and I've even received some comments from friends who've observed me appearing to be more energetic and content. I'll admit it... Getting to wake up an hour later at 8:00 a.m., fix some Eggo Waffles or a bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast, watch SportsCenter...maybe twice, put on my soccer garb, drive to Bellevue, play soccer for 5 or 6 hours, then come home... Yeah, I'd say I'm loving life right now. Oh, you didn't know that's what I've been up to that last several weeks?! The best part is... I'm getting paid!Okay, okay... maybe a few minor details were fabricated for dramatic effect, but the truth remains that I'm truly enjoying my new position, and proof of that is pictured above. Last Saturday, I got to assist my colleagues in our Opening Day for HYSA Recreational Soccer. Meeting families, selling t-shirts, offering directions to fields and watching children attempt to play soccer for a few hours was well worth it. The blonde, female speed-demon in the photo is Sophie Recinella, the daughter of some friends of ours. She is playing here in our brand new Under-4 age group. Seriously, the children have to be potty-trained to be able to play! It's hilarious because none of them can understand why their parents are standing on one side of a white line on the grass and they have to run around on the other side chasing kids they've never met before while everyone is screaming their names, pointing in different directions, and laughing while taking photographs. No wonder they break into tears and sit down in the middle of the game. I'm telling you, I could get a couple video clips and easily snag the $100,000 prize on America's Funniest Videos.
In the meantime, I'm becoming more and more fascinated with the "magic wizard" I married. Look at her there... helping out by carrying boxes for new Belmont freshmen on Move-In Day a couple weeks ago. You'd never suspect that behind that innocent smile and rolled-up construction-style sleeves there would be a wizard.

Did you even have a clue?! I didn't. Let me share a few examples...
- Last week, when Kelly received a voicemail informing her that her Etiquette Training Lady would be unable to host her Student Ambassador meeting the day before the event, what did she do? While enjoying her Pop-Tart at work the next morning, she researched online and designed in PowerPoint an entire etiquette training procedure with detailed instructions AND she made the presentation herself that very night! Wizard.
- After facing the miserable truth that her BlackBerry cell phone was lost forever, Kelly was given a completely different cell phone by my Dad; a Palm Treo. When she asked me (because I have a Treo as well, though mine doesn't have near the capabilities of this particular device) how to use it and sync it to the computer and edit the contact list and adjust the settings, I had to say, "I haven't the slightest clue." Next thing I know, a few hours later, she has it working for her as if she's owned it for years, and simply shrugs her shoulders as if to say, "Yeah, that was nothing... I'm a wizard."
- Finally, when Kelly's Dad needed some help selling some tickets to the Ryder Cup and wanted to know how to set up an E-Bay account with little time to spare... yep, you guessed it. The wizard strikes again. Poof!! Within minutes of sitting at the computer, the tickets are up for bidding on E-Bay as if she's the owner of "We will sell your stuff on EBay" (a store in Tennessee). She initially asked me how to do it, and I had no clue what-so-ever. I'm telling you, she's magic.
So, if you ever need any type of electronic, computer, internet-based, technological, or any other related assistance and need it done in the blink of an eye as if done with the wave of a magic wand, just call my wife.
1 comment:
Post a Comment