Swim With The Fishes...

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Long Awaited Cruise

Now that you've seen the pictures (or at least some of them, I hope!), I thought I'd give you more! This cruise was great for many reasons. For me, it was another great Buckles Family vacation. Growing up, my parents always made vacations, especially summer ones, fun-filled, educational, and packed with new experiences. Trips to the beach, Disney, driving up the east coast, road trips to see the St. Louis Cardinals, or simply picnics at our local lake, were all memorable times for me growing up. Each week it was my mom & dad's goal to do something new and fun together. I probably didn't appreciate it at the time, but I certainly do now for the places I've been, things I've done, and the great relationship I have with my family now. I also needed this cruise, in particular, for a break. I had really found myself burned out on a lot of things before we left, so it was perfect timing.


David, on the other hand, had waited for this cruise for a long time, and probably sacrificed the most to be able to go! About 3 years ago we were visiting my parents in Elizabethtown and swimming in their pool. My mom was talking TO ME about our "family cruise" we were going to take when their retirements came. After listening to our conversation, David decided he really wanted to go and expressed this to my mom. She let him know it was a "Family" vacation and he wasn't a part of our FAMILY yet! (jokingly, of course) The next week, David proposed to me. Mom immediately called him out saying that's an extreme action to take just to go on the cruise! He's been reminded of this several times in the past 3 years, but after it's all said and done, I sure hope it was worth it!


Finally, we had both been anxiously awaiting this cruise for over a year because it was postponed/delayed from last summer to this one. Honestly, once it was postponed, due to Kasey's pregnancy last year, I'm not sure we had faith it would still really happen. Not because of lack of effort or desire, but we were aware that adding a baby to the mix would make it more difficult to align our schedules, travel, and all of that! In retrospect, we are both SO glad we waited for Myla, as she was definitely every one's highlight of the trip! It was perfect to be able to spend so much time with her at such a cute age and to experience it all through her eyes.

So, all in all, obviously we were excited about this family vacation and had set the bar pretty high. Fortunately, it lived up to the hype and was worth the wait for both of us.







I'll post more details from the cruise later! Or maybe, we'll (I'll) get lucky and David will post!! I won't wait too long for that to happen though. ;)

Don't forget, you can view all our pictures, by CLICKING HERE.

1 comment:

Mom said...

I enjoyed reading about your memories of our summers. They were some of my favorite times and it was great to read you felt the same. I enjoyed looking at all the pictures of the cruise. It was great to begin making new memories with your family and Kasey's family. I'm ready for another family trip, when you say the word. David, Matthew and Myla were as easy to travel with as you and Kasey were. Loved it!!